Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) arrested 93 suspected drug offenders in an island-wide drug operation from 27 February to 4 March 2022. During the operation, controlled drugs of about 1,059g of heroin, 19g of ‘Ice’, 48g of New Psychoactive Substances (NPS), 13 ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, one Erimin-5 tablet, two bottles of morphine, and one bottle of methadone were seized. These drugs have an estimated street value of about $78,000.
2. Some of the areas covered during this island-wide operation included Bedok, Tampines and Toa Payoh.
27 February 2022: Two men arrested in the vicinity of Circuit Road
3. In one of the cases in the island-wide operation, CNB officers raided a residential unit in the vicinity of Circuit Road, and arrested two Singaporean men, aged 40 and 51, for suspected drug offences in the late evening of 27 February. As officers moved in to arrest the 51-year-old man, he put up a violent struggle and necessary force was used to subdue him. A knife was also later recovered from the 40-year-old man. About 3g of heroin and 2g of ‘Ice’ were seized from the 51-year-old man.
4. The 51-year-old man was escorted to another residential unit in the same block, where a total of about 946g of heroin and various drug paraphernalia were seized from various locations in the unit.
Photo 1 (CNB): Two Singaporean men, aged 40 and 51, were arrested from a residential unit in the vicinity of Circuit Road in a CNB operation on 27 February 2022.
Photo 2 (CNB): Some of the drugs, including heroin and ‘Ice’, seized in the vicinity of Circuit Road in a CNB operation on 27 February 2022.
28 February 2022: Six men and two women arrested in the vicinity of Clementi Ave 3
5. In the morning of 28 February, CNB officers raided a residential unit in the vicinity of Clementi Ave 3, and arrested eight suspected drug offenders, comprising six Singaporean men aged between 49 and 71, a 49-year-old Singaporean woman and a 53-year-old foreign national woman. Forced entry was effected as a 52-year-old man, who was the registered occupant of the unit, had refused to heed the lawful orders of CNB officers to open the door. About 2g of heroin, 0.5g of ‘Ice’ and various drug paraphernalia were seized from the unit. Preliminary investigations show that the 71-year-old man and 49-year-old woman were a father and daughter pair, and both were arrested for suspected drug consumption.
6. SUPT Mohd Hamzah Yusop, Director of Enforcement Division Sector 1, said of the island-wide operation:
“Drug offenders who think they can evade from the enforcement actions of CNB are mistaken. Our officers have worked hard during the week-long operation, and we will continue to launch timely and co-ordinated operations to keep our community safe and drug-free.”
Photo 3 (CNB): A total of 93 suspected drug offenders were arrested in a CNB island-wide operation that took place from 27 February to 4 March 2022.
7. Under Section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1973, it is an offence for a person, on his or her own behalf, or on behalf of any other person, whether or not that other person is in Singapore, to traffic in a controlled drug, offer to traffic in a controlled drug; or to do or offer to do any act preparatory to or for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug. If a person is found guilty of trafficking more than 15g of pure heroin (diamorphine), he or she may face the mandatory death penalty.
8. Investigations into the drug activities of all arrested suspects are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
4 March 2022