On 14 April 2016 at about 8am, a Singapore-registered car was stopped by officers from the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) for checks upon arrival at Woodlands Checkpoint.
- In the course of inspection, ICA officers found four blocks of cannabis weighing about 4kg and one bundle of ‘Ice’ weighing about 310g. The driver, a 25-year-old male Singaporean, and the seized exhibits were referred to the Central Narcotics
Bureau (CNB) for further investigations.
- From swift follow-up investigations, CNB officers arrested a total of three suspected traffickers – two male Singaporeans aged 25 and 26 and a 26-year-old female Singaporean – and two suspected abusers – two male Singaporeans aged 24
and 32. A substantial variety of drugs were seized from the follow-up operation, including about 2.1kg of cannabis, 380g of ‘Ice’, 152 ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, 102 Erimin-5 tablets and 18g of heroin.
- The estimated worth of the entire haul of drugs seized is more than S$418,000.
- Investigations into the drug activities of all arrested suspects are ongoing. Under the Misuse of Drugs Act, those convicted of trafficking in more than 500g of cannabis; and those convicted of trafficking in more than 250g of methamphetamine, may face
the death penalty. 1,000g of cannabis is sufficient to feed the addiction of about 143 abusers for a week. 250g of methamphetamine is sufficient to feed the addiction of about 185 abusers for a week.
- Our borders are our first line of defence in safeguarding Singapore's security, and security checks are critical to our nation’s security. The Home Team agencies will continue to conduct checks on passengers and vehicles at the checkpoints to prevent
attempts to smuggle in undesirable persons, drugs, weapons, explosives and other contrabands.
IMMIGRATION & CHECKPOINTS AUTHORITY
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
14 APRIL 2016
(CNB photo): Cannabis and ‘Ice’ seized at Woodlands Checkpoint and in follow-up operation on 14 April.
(CNB photo): Car driver by 25-year-old male Singaporean arrested at Woodlands Checkpoint on 14 April 2016.