On 6 May 2016, the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) launched an operation to apprehend a suspected drug courier and a suspected drug trafficker, seizing about 5kg of cannabis and 450g of heroin. The entire haul of drugs from this operation is estimated
to be worth more than S$196,000.
- In the morning of 6 May 2016, CNB officers were deployed at the vicinity of Pasir Ris Grove to look out for a suspected drug trafficker. At about 7.30am, officers spotted a trailer driven by a suspected drug courier, a 40-year-old male Malaysian. At
about 8.00am, CNB officers spotted the suspected trafficker, a 35-year-old male Singaporean, with a female companion arriving at the vicinity in a car.
- The 35-year-old suspected trafficker was seen boarding the trailer cabin from the passenger side. A short while later, the suspected trafficker came out of the trailer cabin and proceeded back to his car. He was seen carrying a paper bag.
- The suspected drug trafficker then drove off and was tailed by a party of CNB officers. The car was eventually parked at a carpark along Jalan Kayu and CNB officers swiftly moved in to place the male suspect and his female companion [a 33-year-old Singaporean]
under arrest. Officers searched the car and recovered about 3kg of cannabis and 450g of heroin from within it.
- Another party of officers who kept observation on the trailer saw the suspected courier coming down from the cabin and placed him under arrest. A search of the trailer cabin recovered about 2kg of cannabis and cash of S$7,500.
- Investigations into the drug activities of all arrested suspects are ongoing. Under the Misuse of Drugs Act, those convicted of trafficking in more than 500g of cannabis may face the death penalty. The Misuse of
Drugs Act also provides for the death penalty if the amount of diamorphine (or pure heroin) trafficked exceeds 15g. 15g of diamorphine is equivalent to 1,250 straws, which is sufficient to feed the addiction of about 180
abusers for a week.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
6 MAY 2016
Photo 1: Drugs seized in CNB operation on 6 May 2016.
Photo 2: Trailer which drugs were recovered from in CNB operation on 6 May 2016.
Photo 3: Cash recovered from within trailer cabin in CNB operation on 6 May 2016.