Officers from Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) arrested three Singaporean men, aged between 50 and 55, and one 29-year-old female foreign national for suspected drug activities on 4 and 5 March 2022. A total of about 1,494g of heroin, 428g of ‘Ice’, 78g of cannabis, 326g of ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, 303 Erimin-5 tablets and 3g of ‘Yaba’ tablets, with a total estimated street value of $221,000, were seized during the operation. The seizure of 1,494g of heroin can feed the addiction of about 710 abusers for a week, while the 428g of ‘Ice’ can feed the addiction of about 240 abusers for a week.
2. In the evening of 4 March, CNB officers intercepted a vehicle in the vicinity of Chai Chee Street and arrested the 55-year-old driver. About 13g of ‘Ice’ and drug paraphernalia were seized from the vehicle.
3. In a follow-up operation conducted in the same evening, CNB officers intercepted another vehicle in the vicinity of North Canal Road, and arrested the 50-year-old driver of the vehicle. A total of 457g of heroin, 30g of ‘Ice’, 12g of ‘Ecstasy’ tablets and 13 Erimin-5 tablets were seized from the vehicle.
4. CNB officers also raided a unit in the vicinity of Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 in the same evening of 4 March. A 54-year-old Singaporean man was arrested, and about 352g of heroin was seized from the residential unit. Another follow-up operation in the vicinity of Jalan Eunos in the early hours of 5 March saw the arrest of a 29-year-old female foreign national.
5. Both the 50-year-old man and the 29-year-old woman were escorted to their suspected hideout in a private residential building located in the vicinity of Jalan Eunos. A total of about 685g of heroin, 385g of ‘Ice’, 78g of cannabis, 314g of ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, 290 Erimin-5 tablets, 3g of ‘Yaba’ tablets, various drug paraphernalia and weighing scales were seized from the residential unit.
Photo 1 (CNB): Illicit drugs, including heroin, ‘Ice’ and ‘Ecstasy tablets’, drug paraphernalia and weighing scales seized from a residential unit in the vicinity of Jalan Eunos in a CNB operation on 5 March 2022.
Photo 2 (CNB): Packets of illicit drugs seized from a residential unit in the vicinity of Jalan Eunos in a CNB operation on 5 March 2022.
6. Superintendent William Tan, Senior Assistant Director of CNB’s Intelligence Division, said of the operation:
“The drugs seized from this operation can feed the addiction of about 1,000 abusers for a week. But the harm goes beyond this number. Illicit drugs are harmful and addictive, and the despicable actions of drug traffickers can destroy lives, families and communities. This is why we have strict laws in Singapore, so that drug syndicates cannot profit off the misery of others. CNB will continue with our targeted operations against drug syndicates to prevent drugs from flowing into the streets.”
Photo 3 (CNB): Some of the illicit drugs seized in a CNB operation on 4 and 5 March 2022.
7. Under Section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1973, it is an offence for a person, on his or her own behalf, or on behalf of any other person, whether or not that other person is in Singapore, to traffic in a controlled drug, offer to traffic in a controlled drug; or to do or offer to do any act preparatory to or for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug. If a person is found guilty of trafficking more than 15g of pure heroin (diamorphine) or 250g of methamphetamine, he or she may face the mandatory death penalty.
8. Investigations into the suspects’ drug activities are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
6 March 2022