Thirty-five suspected drug offenders were arrested in a series of island-wide operations conducted by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) from 11 April to 19 April 2023 targeted at drug
transactions conducted through encrypted chat applications. During the operations, a total of about 9,529g of cannabis, 916g of ‘Ice’, 560g of ‘Ecstasy’, 320g of ketamine, 450 Erimin-5 tablets, 77 LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide)
stamps, one bottle of GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate) and 122g of substances believed to be controlled drugs were seized. These drugs seized are estimated to be worth about $560,000.
2. Some of the areas covered during the operations include Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Panjang, Choa Chu Kang, Marsiling and Novena.
11 April 2023: 42-year-old man arrested for suspected drug trafficking in the vicinity of Haig Road
3. In the evening of 11 April, CNB officers arrested a 42-year-old man for suspected drug trafficking at the void deck of a residential block in the vicinity of Haig Road. During the arrest, about 783g of cannabis, 117g
of ‘Ice’, 97g of ‘Ecstasy’, 60 Erimin-5 tablets and 13 LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) stamps were seized by CNB officers at the void deck. The man was then escorted to a residential unit and about 8,519g of cannabis, 766g
of ‘Ice’, 461g of ‘Ecstasy’, 320g of ketamine, 390 Erimin-5 tablets, 56 LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) stamps, 122g of substances believed to be controlled drugs, and various drug paraphernalia were recovered from within
Photo 1 (CNB): Controlled drugs including cannabis and ‘Ice’ were seized in the vicinity of Haig Road in a CNB operation conducted on 11 April 2023.
18 April 2023: Arrest of a 24-year-old Singaporean woman in the vicinity of Compassvale Link
4. In the afternoon of 18 April, a 24-year-old Singaporean woman was arrested for suspected drug offences in a residential unit in the vicinity of Compassvale Link. About 2.3g of cannabis and various drug paraphernalia
were recovered from within the unit.
Photo 2 (CNB): Cannabis and drug paraphernalia recovered from a 24-year-old woman in the vicinity of Compassvale Link in a CNB operation on 18 April 2023.
19 April 2023: 18-year-old student arrested for suspected drug offences
5. On 19 April, a 18-year-old male student was arrested in a residential unit in the vicinity of Choa Chu Kang Crescent. About 2.8g of cannabis were recovered from a search conducted in the unit.
6. SUPT Stanley Seah, Deputy Director of Intelligence Division, said of the operations:
“The use of chat applications that allow for encrypted communication, such as Telegram, has become increasingly popular among drug offenders to buy and sell illicit drugs. Many of these drug offenders think that such chat applications would enable
them to transact anonymously. They cannot be more wrong.
CNB has observed this phenomenon as early as 2019 and has since arrested more than 500 drug offenders who partake in illegal online drug transactions. Our officers will continue to monitor emerging trends and evasive tactics, and launch well-timed operations
to take down drug offenders.”
Photo 3 (CNB): Phone conversation between a drug client and his supplier through Telegram – uncovered in island-wide CNB operation conducted on 18 and 19 April targeted at drug transactions on encrypted chat applications.
7. Under Section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1973, it is an offence for a person, on his or her own behalf, or on behalf of any other person, whether or not that other person is in Singapore, to traffic in a controlled
drug, offer to traffic in a controlled drug; or to do or offer to do any act preparatory to or for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug. If a person is found guilty of trafficking more than 250g of methamphetamine or 500g of cannabis, he
or she may face the mandatory death penalty.
8. Investigations into the drug activities of all arrested suspects are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
20 April 2023