Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) officers arrested six Singaporeans, aged between 23 and 30, for suspected drug offences in two anti-drug operations on 20 March 2023. A total of about 437g of ‘Ice’, 1,322g of heroin, 5 ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, and 18 tablets suspected to contain controlled drugs with an estimated street value of $158,500 were seized. The seizure of 437g of ‘Ice’ can feed the addiction of about 250 abusers for a week, while the seizure of 1,322g of heroin can feed the addiction of about 630 abusers for a week.
2. In the early hours of 20 March, the Police recovered items believed to be controlled drugs from a van during a Police enforcement operation around the vicinity of Kaki Bukit Ave 3. The driver of the van had fled the scene after crashing into a lamp post while attempting to evade the Police. About 997g of heroin were recovered from the van.
3. CNB launched an operation to arrest the driver of the van. In the evening of 20 March, CNB officers arrested the suspected driver, 28-year-old man, for drug trafficking in a residential unit located in the vicinity of Bedok North Road. A 26-year-old pregnant woman was also arrested in the unit for drug consumption. About 137g of ‘Ice’, 87g of heroin and various drug paraphernalia were seized from the unit. The woman’s nine-month-old baby was also present in the unit. Appropriate arrangements were made to ensure that the welfare of the baby was taken care of, and the baby was subsequently placed in the safe custody of a next-of-kin.
4. In another operation the same evening, CNB officers raided a different residential unit in the vicinity of Bedok North Road and arrested three men, aged 23, 25 and 30, and a 28-year-old woman for suspected drug trafficking offences. During the raid, the 25-year-old man climbed out the bedroom window of the ninth-floor flat to evade arrest. A CNB officer held on to the man who continued to put up a struggle and lost his footing. With the help of other officers, the man was pulled back to safety through the window and placed under arrest. The CNB officer sustained deep lacerations to his right hand while preventing the suspect from falling and was conveyed to the hospital for medical treatment.
5. About 300g of ‘Ice’, 238g of heroin, 5 ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, 18 tablets suspected to contain controlled drugs and various drug paraphernalia were recovered from the bottom of the block of flats and from within the residential unit.
Photo 1 (CNB): A 25-year-old Singaporean man scaling out of a bedroom window of a ninth-floor residential unit in a bid to evade arrest, during an anti-drug operation in the vicinity of Bedok North Road on 20 March 2023. The man was eventually brought back to safety and placed under arrest.
Photos 2 and 3 (CNB): Controlled drugs including ‘Ice’ and heroin, and various drug paraphernalia seized from a residential unit in the vicinity of Bedok North Road on 20 March 2023.
6. SUPT William Tan, Senior Assistant Director of Intelligence Operations, said:
“Drug abuse affects not only the individual, but the families and our community at large. In one of the operations on 20 March, a suspected drug offender had total disregard of his own safety and that of others while attempting to evade arrest. This turned into a life and death situation when our officer, who was arresting the suspect, had to hold on to the suspect when the latter lost his footing. Our officers have to make split second decisions during operations, even placing themselves in great danger to ensure the safe arrest of suspects.”
7. Under Section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1973, it is an offence for a person, on his or her own behalf, or on behalf of any other person, whether or not that other person is in Singapore, to traffic in a controlled drug, offer to traffic in a controlled drug; or to do or offer to do any act preparatory to or for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug. If a person is found guilty of trafficking more than 15g of pure heroin (diamorphine) or 250g of methamphetamine, he or she may face the mandatory death penalty.
8. Investigations into the drug activities of all arrested suspects are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
22 March 2023