Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) arrested 133 suspected drug offenders in a two-week island-wide drug operation from 6 to 17 February 2023. During the operation, controlled drugs of about 64g of heroin, 528g of ‘Ice’, 94g of cannabis, 512g of ketamine, 5g of New Psychoactive Substances (NPS), 670g of ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, 214 Tapentadol tablets and three bottles of liquid suspected to contain GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate) were seized. These drugs have an estimated street value of about $231,600.
2. Some of the areas covered during this island-wide operation included Hougang, Jurong and Tampines.
9 February 2023: 32-year-old Singaporean woman arrested for suspected drug offences
3. On 9 February, CNB officers conducted an anti-drug operation at a residential unit in the vicinity of Sembawang Drive and arrested a 32-year-old woman. A small amount of heroin, ‘Ice’ and various drug paraphernalia were seized from the unit.
4. The woman’s 2-month-old infant was also present in the unit. The woman, who was under investigation for drugs offences since last year, is suspected to have had abused drugs during and after her pregnancy. Appropriate arrangements were made to ensure that the welfare of the infant was taken care of, and the infant was subsequently placed in the safe custody of a next-of-kin.
5. Station Inspector Marlina Djumadi, a CNB officer who was involved in the operation, said:
“As a parent myself, we will always do things in the best interests of our children. I was saddened to learn that the woman may have continued to abuse drugs during her pregnancy, possibly endangering the health of her newborn child. Drug abuse is not a victimless crime – it has dire consequences on families and innocent children. I hope that the woman will be able to get the help that she needs, so that she will be able to better care, protect and provide for her child.”
Photo 1 (CNB):
A suspected drug offender arrested by CNB officers in a two-week island-wide drug operation from 6 to 17 February 2023.
5. Investigations into all arrested suspects are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
18 February 2023