Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) arrested 161 suspected drug offenders in an island-wide drug operation from 10 to 14 April 2023. During the operation, controlled drugs of about 2,876g of heroin, 209g of ‘Ice’, 23g of cannabis, 1g of ketamine, five tablets of ‘Ecstasy’, two Erimin-5 tablets and 1 bottle of methadone were seized. These drugs have an estimated street value of about $234,000.
2. Some of the areas covered during this island-wide operation included Ang Mo Kio, Hougang, Geylang and Toa Payoh.
10 April 2023: Arrest of two Singaporean men for suspected drug offences
3. In the morning of 10 April, CNB officers arrested two Singaporean men, aged 32 and 36, for suspected drug offences in a hotel room in the vicinity of Geylang Road. About 226g of heroin, 18g of ‘Ice’, three tablets of ‘Ecstasy’ and two Erimin-5 tablets, and various drug paraphernalia were seized from the room.
11 April 2023: 59-year-old Singaporean man arrested in the vicinity of Lorong 7 Toa Payoh
4. In the afternoon of 11 April, a 59-year-old man was arrested from his hideout in the vicinity of Lorong 7 Toa Payoh. Forced entry was effected as the man had refused to heed the lawful orders of CNB officers to open the door. CNB officers recovered about 489g of heroin from the man and seized about 2,067g of heroin, 140g of ‘Ice’, 1 bottle of methadone, and various drug paraphernalia from the hideout.
Photos 1 - 3 (CNB): Controlled drugs including heroin and ‘Ice’, and various drug paraphernalia were seized in a CNB operation in the vicinity of Lorong 7 Toa Payoh on 11 April 2023.
5. Superintendent Qamarul Zaman Bin Hussin, Deputy Commanding Officer of CNB Enforcement ‘L’ Division, said of the island-wide operation:
“Drug abuse is a serious threat to our society and if left unchecked, can bring about dire consequences to the safety and well-being of our people. Our officers will not let up our enforcement efforts against drug traffickers and abusers, so that our families and children can live in a safe and drug-free environment.”
6. Under Section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1973, it is an offence for a person, on his or her own behalf, or on behalf of any other person, whether or not that other person is in Singapore, to traffic in a controlled drug, offer to traffic in a controlled drug; or to do or offer to do any act preparatory to or for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug. If a person is found guilty of trafficking more than 15g of pure heroin (diamorphine), he or she may face the mandatory death penalty.
7. Investigations into all arrested suspects are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
14 April 2023