A total of 32 suspected drug offenders were arrested in an island-wide operation conducted by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) on 18 and 19 April 2022. In this island-wide operation that was targeted at drug transactions conducted through encrypted chat applications, a total of about 191g of ‘Ice’, 718g of cannabis, 4g of ketamine, 4g of cocaine, 714g of ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, multiple LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) stamps, 201 Erimin-5 tablets and two bottles of liquid suspected to contain GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate) were seized. The drugs seized are estimated to be worth about $140,000.
2. Some of the areas covered during this island-wide operation include Bukit Panjang, Compassvale, Jurong West and Sembawang.
18 April 2022: Arrests of two men in the vicinity of Bukit Batok West
3. In one of the cases, CNB officers arrested a 26-year-old Singaporean man in the vicinity of Bukit Batok West on 18 April evening. The man was escorted to his residence in the same vicinity, where a total of about 173g of crystalline substances believed to contain ‘Ice’, 488g of cannabis, 713g of ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, 51 Erimin-5 tablets, multiple LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) stamps and one bottle of liquid suspected to contain GHB (gamma-hydroxybutyrate) were seized. A 24-year-old Singaporean man who later visited the same residential unit was also arrested for suspected drug offences.
Photos 1 and 2 (CNB): Packets of ‘Ecstasy’ tablets and cannabis seized from a residential unit in the vicinity of Bukit Batok West in a CNB operation on 18 April 2022. A 26-year-old Singaporean man was arrested on suspicion of being involved in drug transactions conducted on Telegram.
Photos 3 and 4 (CNB): Packets of cannabis and drug paraphernalia seized from suspected drug offenders in an island-wide CNB operation conducted on 18 and 19 April 2022.
Photo 5 (CNB): Phone conversation about a drug transaction between a drug client and his supplier through Telegram - uncovered in an island-wide CNB operation conducted on 18 and 19 April 2022 targeted at drug transactions conducted on encrypted chat applications.
Photo 6 (CNB): A total of 32 suspected drug offenders were arrested in an island-wide CNB operation conducted on 18 and 19 April 2022 targeted at drug transactions conducted on encrypted chat applications.
4. Superintendent Stanley Seah, Deputy Director of Intelligence Division, said:
“CNB had carried out a similar operation in November last year, targeted at drug transactions conducted on encrypted chat applications where 50 suspected drug offenders were arrested. Drug offenders naively assume that these chat applications can afford them the anonymity to facilitate their illegal activities, so that they can evade CNB’s detection but they are wrong.
This latest operation shows that CNB is not letting up on our efforts against drug offenders, regardless of whichever methods they use to mask their activities.”
5. Under Section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act, it is an offence for a person, on his or her own behalf, or on behalf of any other person, whether or not that other person is in Singapore, to traffic in a controlled drug, offer to traffic in a controlled drug; or to do or offer to do any act preparatory to or for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug. If a person is found guilty of trafficking more than 500g of cannabis, he or she may face the mandatory death penalty.
6. Members of the public who would like to report on suspicious drug-related activities may submit it to us at https://www.eservices.cnb.gov.sg/feedback, or call the CNB hotline at 1800-325-6666.
7. Investigations into the drug activities of all arrested suspects are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
20 April 2022