- In late 2016, the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) had intelligence pointing to the involvement of two Singaporeans with a Malaysia-based drug syndicate. CNB initiated joint investigations with the Narcotics Crime Investigation Department (NCID) of the
Royal Malaysian Police (RMP), with a view to arrest the syndicate members and dismantle the syndicate.
- During the course of investigations, CNB managed to identify two Singaporean suspects, believed to be coordinating drug supply runs for the syndicate. The information was shared with NCID, which aided NCID in tracking down the two Singaporeans and their
Malaysian associates. NCID further managed to ascertain the drug storehouses of the syndicate, located in Petaling Jaya.
- On 6 May 2017, NCID launched an operation to neutralise the syndicate. Four of the syndicate’s Malaysian members were arrested in Petaling Jaya and Kuala Lumpur. NCID also recovered about 64kg of ‘Ice’, 61.5kg of ketamine and 23,985
- On the same day, NCID arrested the two Singaporean suspects – a 43-year-old male and a 58-year-old male – in Johor Bahru. The 58-year-old male Singaporean was found to be in possession of 11g of ‘Ice’, 68 Erimin-5 tablets and
a small amount of ketamine.
- Investigations by NCID are ongoing. If convicted of drug trafficking, both Singaporeans may face the death penalty.
- Director CNB Mr Ng Ser Song said, “I am very glad that CNB’s timely sharing of intelligence with NCID aided NCID in this highly successful operation, which not only saw the seizure of a significant amount of drugs, but also the dismantling
of a regional drug trafficking syndicate which had its tentacles in a few countries. I would like to reiterate, that the fight against drugs, must be fought with close cooperation between counterparts. No drug enforcement agency can afford to do it
alone, especially against drug trafficking syndicates which operate near seamlessly between different countries. If drug trafficking syndicates are cooperating this closely, drug enforcement agencies must cooperate even more closely, in order to dismantle
these syndicates and their deadly trade. I would like to thank Director NCID CP Dato’ Sri Mohd. Mokhtar Bin HJ. Mohd. Shariff and NCID officers for their strong support and cooperation with CNB over the years. Together, we can take the fight
to the drug syndicates.”
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
11 MAY 2017
Photo: Drugs seized from NCID’s operation on 6 May 2017 [Photos courtesy of NCID]