The Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) has on 16 September 2020 arrested a 29-year-old Singaporean male, who was the passenger in the car chase along Canberra Street on 12 September 2020, for suspected drug trafficking offences. Four other Singaporeans, comprising two males and two females aged between 25 and 34, were also arrested for suspected drug offences during the operation. A total of about 7g of ‘Ice’ was seized during the operation, which took place in multiple locations in Singapore.
2. On 12 September 2020 at about 1.10am, Traffic Police officers patrolling along CTE (SLE) near Ang Mo Kio Ave 1 had signalled for a driver to stop for a check. The driver then sped off, and the Traffic Police officers had pursued the vehicle. The car subsequently mounted a kerb in Canberra Street and collided into a tree. The 31-year-old male driver was arrested for dangerous driving, driving without a valid driving license and suspected drug-related offences, while the 29-year-old male passenger had fled from the scene.
3. After extensive investigations, CNB officers were able to establish the identity of the 29-year-old male passenger. Preliminary investigations revealed that he was picked up by a 34-year-old male in a van after he fled from the scene of Canberra Street on 12 September. In the evening of 15 September, CNB officers arrested the 34-year-old male in the vicinity of Corporation Walk for suspected drug offences.
4. In a follow-up operation in the evening of 15 September, CNB officers arrested a 31-year-old male and 25-year-old female in the vicinity of Ho Ching Road. A search was conducted in their residential unit, and a packet containing about 1g of ‘Ice’ was recovered, along with various drug paraphernalia. Preliminary investigations showed that the 25-year-old female had purchased the packet of ‘Ice’ from the 29-year-old male about two weeks ago.
5. In the afternoon of 16 September, CNB officers raided the hideout of the 29-year-old male in the vicinity of Anchorvale Road, and forced entry was effected as he refused to heed the lawful orders of the officers to open the door. As officers moved in to arrest him, he put up a violent struggle and necessary force was used to subdue him. A 31-year-old female was also arrested therein for suspected drug activities. Seven packets containing about 6g of ‘Ice’ and various drug paraphernalia were found in the unit.
6. The 31-year-old female was arrested with her 4-month-old infant. Preliminary investigations revealed that she had been abusing ‘Ice’ during her pregnancy. Appropriate arrangements were made to ensure that the welfare of the infant was taken care of. The infant was subsequently placed in the safe custody of a relative.
Photo 1 (CNB) - A 29-year-old Singaporean male, who was the passenger in the car chase along Canberra Street on 12 September 2020, was arrested for suspected drug trafficking offences in the vicinity of Anchorvale Road on 16 September 2020.
7. Investigations into the drug activities of all the suspects are ongoing. The Police are concurrently investigating the 29-year-old male for traffic offences.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
17 SEPTEMBER 2020