Forty-seven suspected drug traffickers and abusers were arrested in a series of island-wide anti-drug operations conducted by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) from 3 October to 10 October 2023 targeted
at drug transactions conducted through chat applications. During the operations, a total of about 5,500g of cannabis, 286g of ‘Ice’, 226g and 21 ‘Ecstasy’ tablets, 2g of ketamine, 291 Erimin-5 tablets, 104 LSD (lysergic acid
diethylamide) stamps, and 544g of powdery substance believed to be controlled drugs were seized. These drugs seized are estimated to be worth about $335,000. The seizure of 5,500g of cannabis and 286g of ‘Ice’ can feed the addiction of
about 950 abusers for a week.
2. Some of the areas covered during the operations include Balestier, Bedok, Bishan, and Sembawang.
Three Singaporeans, including a pair of brothers, arrested for suspected drug trafficking offences on 3 October 2023
3. In the morning of 3 October, CNB officers arrested a 36-year-old man for suspected drug trafficking offences in a residential unit in the vicinity of Spooner Road. Forced entry was effected as the man had refused to
comply with the lawful orders of the officers to open the door. A search was conducted within the unit and about 910g of cannabis, 207g of ‘Ice’, 28 Erimin-5 tablets, 21 ‘Ecstasy’ tablets and 544g of powdery substances believed
to be controlled drugs were seized.
Photo 1 (CNB): Controlled drugs, including cannabis and ‘Ice’, seized in the vicinity of Spooner Road in a CNB operation on 3 October 2023.
4. In another operation in the afternoon of 3 October, CNB officers arrested a 23-year-old man for suspected drug trafficking offences in the vicinity of Changi Road. Officers then escorted the man to a private residence
in the vicinity of Kew Drive and arrested his brother, an 18-year-old boy, within for suspected drug trafficking offences. A search was conducted and about 3,400g of cannabis, 165g of ‘Ecstasy’, 263 Erimin-5 tablets and 103 LSD (lysergic
acid diethylamide) stamps were seized. The 23-year-old man was subsequently escorted to his car parked along Jalan Wakaff, where about 780g of cannabis and 61g of ‘Ecstasy’ were seized.
Photo 2 (CNB): Controlled drugs, including cannabis and ‘Ice’, seized in the vicinities of Changi Road, Kew Drive and Jalan Wakaff in a CNB operation on 3 October 2023.
37-year-old man arrested for suspected drug offences in the vicinity of Bukit Panjang Ring Road
5. In one of the operations in the morning of 10 October, CNB officers arrested a 37-year-old Singaporean man in a residential unit in the vicinity of Bukit Panjang Ring Road for suspected drug offences. About 77g of
cannabis and drug paraphernalia were recovered from various locations within the unit. The man was later escorted to his car in a nearby carpark where drug paraphernalia were recovered.
Photo 3 (CNB): Phone conversation between a drug client and his supplier through Telegram – uncovered in island-wide CNB operation conducted from 3 October to 10 October 2023 targeted at drug transactions on chat applications.
6. DAC Aaron Tang, Director of Intelligence Division, said of the operations:
“In this series of anti-drug operations, CNB successfully disrupted a large supply of drugs distributed by drug syndicates and traffickers through chat applications like Telegram and arrested many of their drug clients. We have warned drug offenders,
both traffickers and abusers, that using such chat applications would not allow them to evade detection and yet they still try, only to be caught eventually. For those who still choose to disregard our warnings, we will continue to hunt them down
and bring them to justice.”
7. Under Section 5 of the Misuse of Drugs Act 1973, it is an offence for a person, on his or her own behalf, or on behalf of any other person, whether or not that other person is in Singapore, to traffic in a controlled drug,
offer to traffic in a controlled drug; or to do or offer to do any act preparatory to or for the purpose of trafficking in a controlled drug. If a person is found guilty of trafficking more than 500g of cannabis, he or she may face the mandatory death
8. Investigations into all arrested suspects are ongoing.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
13 October 2023