- About 689g of heroin was seized in an operation conducted by the Central Narcotics Bureau (CNB) on 8 November 2017, which also saw the arrest of four suspected drug offenders, all Singaporeans. The drugs seized in this operation were estimated to be
worth more than $72,000.
- In the late hours of 8 November 2017, CNB officers were deployed in the vicinity of Jalan Besar to conduct observation on a group of suspected drug offenders. At about 10.50pm, the first suspect, a 46-year-old male, was spotted meeting up with a female
along Mayo Street. They parted shortly after.
- The 46-year-old male was arrested in the vicinity of a budget hotel at Jalan Besar and the 32-year-old female suspect was arrested at the junction of Sungei Road and Perak Road. The 46-year-old male was brought to his room at the hotel and CNB officers
arrested two other suspects in the room, a 49-year-old male and a 54-year-old male.
- Officers recovered about 482g of heroin inside the jeans worn by the 46-year-old male, as well as cash of S$6,474. Officers recovered a small amount of heroin on the 49-year-old male and officers recovered a further 200g of heroin and a small amount
of ‘Ice’ from a bag belonging to the 54-year-old male. A small amount of heroin and ‘Ice’ was recovered from the table in the room.
- Investigations into the drug activities of all the suspects are ongoing. The Misuse of Drugs Act provides for the death penalty if the amount of diamorphine (or pure heroin) trafficked exceeds 15g. 15g of diamorphine is equivalent to 1,250 straws*,
which is sufficient to feed the addiction of about 180 abusers for a week.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
9 NOVEMBER 2017
Photo 1 (CNB): Heroin, ‘Ice’ and cash seized in CNB operation on 8 November 2017.
* This is estimated using a typical purity level of 4%, based on drug seizures in recent years. The number of straws that are actually made may vary according to the purity level of the heroin used in the straws.