The Central Narcotics Bureau’s (CNB) interactive children’s book, Be Careful, Max!, was co-launched on 26 January 2022 by Associate Professor Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, Minister of State, Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of National Development, and Ms Tan Lee Jee, Assistant Chief Executive Officer, PCF Sparkletots.
2. Targeted at preschoolers, Be Careful, Max! introduces the topic of stranger danger and serves as a useful resource for parents and educators to better engage children on rejecting offers of unknown substances and encouraging them to seek help from trusted adults. Be Careful, Max! is designed for interactive storytelling sessions, with animal characters and pop-up flaps to involve children in the reading activity. The book also features the Anti-Drug Ribbon, the symbol of the anti-drug cause and Singapore’s united stand against drugs.
3. Be Careful, Max! is a collaboration between CNB and three graduates from Nanyang Polytechnic’s School of Design & Media, and conceptualised in consultation with the Ministry of Education’s (MOE) Preschool Education Branch.
4. The hybrid book launch was livestreamed to the public, and featured a video montage of a pre-recorded storytelling session involving PCF Sparkletots teachers and kindergarten students (aged between 5 and 6), as well as students singing and dancing to the anti-drug jingle and participating in an origami anti-drug ribbon folding activity.
5. Speaking at the event, Associate Professor Faishal emphasised the role of parents and educators in preventing drug abuse among the young, adding that preventive drug education remains the first line of defence against drugs, and family and communal support can help youths lead a healthy and positive drug-free lifestyle. “We find that it is important for families and educators to come forward to play a part, and share some of the meaningful opportunities where they can spend time with their kids, and look at things in a very positive way and help their kids to grow up healthy,” said Associate Professor Faishal, adding: “We hope that the preschool students and children will not only have an interactive and fun time reading the book, but at the same time, learn to be careful, pick up healthy habits, and avoid getting themselves involved in unhealthy activities as they grow up.”
6. Copies of Be Careful, Max! have been distributed to selected preschool operators and community libraries. The web version of Be Careful, Max! can be found at CNB’s website https://www.cnb.gov.sg/educational-resources/pde-publications/interactive-book.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
26 January 2022
Photo 1 (CNB): [From left to right] Assoc Prof Muhammad Faishal Ibrahim, Minister of State in the Ministry of Home Affairs and Ministry of National Development, and Ms Tan Lee Jee, Assistant Chief Executive Officer, PCF Sparkletots, launching the interactive children’s book, Be Careful, Max!, on 26 January 2022.
Photo 2 (CNB): Students from PCF Sparkletots participating in the storytelling session of Be Careful, Max!
Photo 3 (CNB): A page from the interactive children’s book, Be Careful, Max!