On 23 June 2016, the Central Narcotics Bureau launched two separate operations that saw large seizures of a variety of drugs and the dismantling of one drug trafficking syndicate. The entire haul of drugs seized from these two operations was estimated
to be worth more than S$236,000.
Drug bust at Jalan Bukit Merah
- In the afternoon hours of 23 June 2016, a party of CNB officers was deployed in the vicinity of Jalan Bukit Merah to apprehend a suspected drug trafficker. At about 3.25pm, the suspected drug trafficker, a 48-year-old male Singaporean, was spotted driving
into a carpark in the vicinity. CNB officers moved in to arrest the 48-year-old shortly after he had alighted from his vehicle. Officers recovered a total of about 500g of heroin from the 48-year-old. Cash totaling more than S$13,000 was also recovered
- CNB officers proceeded to raid the suspected drug trafficker’s unit in the vicinity. From within the unit, a small amount of heroin was recovered, along with a digital weighing scale and numerous empty plastic sachets. A suspected drug abuser
– a 62-year-old male Singaporean – was also arrested within the unit.
- From swift follow-up investigations, CNB officers arrested the suspected drug courier – a 22-year-old male Malaysian. A search of the motorcycle belonging to the 22-year-old suspected drug courier was conducted and officers recovered a total of
S$14,500 in cash that was placed in the compartment under the seat.
Syndicate busted, syndicate leader and associate arrested
- In another separate operation conducted on 23 June 2016, CNB officers raided the hideout of a suspected drug syndicate leader (a 56-year-old male Singaporean) at Lorong 39 Geylang, and recovered about 1.8kg of heroin, 130g of ‘Ice’ and 40
Erimin-5 tablets within the room occupied by the suspect.
- A few hours later, CNB officers deployed at Bedok North Road arrested the suspected associate of the suspected syndicate leader, at a carpark in the vicinity. The suspected associate, a 46-year-old male Singaporean, was escorted to his residence in
the same area, and officers recovered about 1kg of cannabis, 240g of heroin and 35g of ‘Ice’ from within the unit. Cash of S$4,400 and US$100 was also recovered. A search of the 46-year-old’s car recovered a bottle of methadone.
- Investigations into the drug activities of all the suspects are ongoing. The Misuse of Drugs Act provides for the death penalty if the amount of diamorphine (pure heroin) trafficked exceeds 15g. 15g of diamorphine is equivalent to 1,250 straws, which
is sufficient to feed the addiction of about 180 abusers for a week. Those convicted of trafficking in more than 500g of cannabis may also face the death penalty.
CENTRAL NARCOTICS BUREAU
24 JUNE 2016
Photo 1: Drugs and cash seized in CNB drug bust at Jalan Bukit Merah on 23 June 2016.
Photo 2: Drugs and cash recovered from CNB operation at Geylang and Bedok North Road on 23 June 2016.